Monday, February 7, 2011

Where My Creativity Began

Many people ask me how did I get so creative. When asked that question I never know quite how to answer. All I know is that I have had this gift for as long as I could remember. I remember my mom letting me get out of washing the dishes after meals so that I could go to my room and work on my projects. My favorite things have always been miniatures. I vividly remember a bedroom I made in a shoebox. The carpet was green velvet. The bed made out of a small cardboard jewelry box. Little stool for my vanity made out of a toothpaste top with a little of the green velvet on top. Squares cut out of the box for windows and curtains made on toothpicks as curtain rods. I can’t remember if it was a school project or just one of my many projects. I kept that shoe box for many years.
I worked on many projects like that. All my projects have not been as memorable but each has helped me to develop my creativity. Each step I have taken to make, create and deliver has been a step toward what I am today. Through my journey of creativity I have realized this one thing. I have been giving this gift by God. He created my stumpy little fingers not to have manicures but to paint, hammer, sew and whatever else it may take to complete a project. (I have only had one manicure in my life). After doing a study of the book of Ecclesiastes one summer on my own, it became evident to me that God gave me this gift for a reason. He gave me this gift to use. He gave me this gift not to hide under a rock but to share with others. He gave me this gift to bring joy to others.
That is why I am so happy owning my own shop. Not only do I love creating and displaying but I am finding the real joy in the customers. The customers that come in to SweetPeas for the first time and stand at the door and say “Wow, this place is adorable” There is not better joy than for someone to pick up something you have handcrafted yourself and think to themselves, “I want this to be part of my life”. A part of me then returns with them to their homes and they find somewhere in their home for a bit of me. They take my gift from God and introduce it into their home.

1 comment:

  1. Tracie, your post is so sweet and it is so great to hear about your coming to understand yourself so well.
    Thank you so much for sharing your gift!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete